Have you tried Home-Made Pickled Daikon & Carrots? It is so quick and easy to make and it goes well with anything! I used this Home-Made Pickled Carrots and Daikon in a Tuna Sandwich. It makes the Tuna Sandwich tastes so ‘Gourmet’! This recipe only requires 5 Ingredients (Carrot, Daikon, Sugar, Salt and White Vinegar) with an optional ingredient (Chili Peppers).
Benefits of Daikon (Aka White Radish)
Source: Natural Food Series
- Is low in calories.
- Helps you manage your type 2 diabetes.
- Promotes respiratory health.
- provide a healthy digestive system.
- Supports Kidney function
- Helps maintain proper blood pressure.
- Boosts Immunity by helping the body create new healthy red blood cells
- Helps reduce the risk of cancer.
- can improve your nervous system’s health and help prevent diseases.
Daikon is a white radish that has a mild taste compared to the typical red radish. We call it ‘White Carrot’. Pickled Daikon & Carrots are commonly used in Asian cuisin like Vietnamese and Korean food. You can add this to a Sandwich/Banh Mi. This can also be added to Salad or side dish to any meat dish like Steak, Korean BBG Beef Ribs, Pork Chop. My Dad loves the pickled daikon and carrots and he always asks for extra when he orders Vietnamese Pork Chop Rice. One of my favorite is to add this home-made pickled daikon and carrots to the fresh rolls! 🙂
This recipe is so easy and quick to make. The pickling time is pretty fast compared to most pickled vegetables. If you like pickled vegetables, you might want to check out my other Quick and Easy Home-Made Pickled Cucumber.
Ingredients for Home-Made Pickled Daikon & Carrots:
- 1 Big Carrot
- 1 Medium Size Daikon (aka White Radish)
- 4 teaspoons of White Sugar
- 2 teaspoons Salt
Ingredients for Pickle Brine:
- 1 1/4 cup of White Sugar
- 2 cups of White Vinegar. You can substitue for Apple Cidar Vinegar or Rice Vinegar
- 2 cups of Hot Water (to dissolve the Sugar)
- 2 Pinches of Salt
- Chili Peppers – 2 full ones (Optional)
I highly recommend this Japanese Madoline Slicer and the Magentic Measuring Cups:
How to make Pickle Brine:
- Boil water in an electric kettle.
- In a Glass Pyrex Bowl, add in 1 1/4 cup of White Sugar, 2 cups of White Vinegar, 2 cups of Hot Water.
- Add in 2 pinches of Salt.
- Cut 2 Chili Peppers (Optional) in smaller pieces with a Scissor and add in to the pickle brine
- Then Mix well until everything is dissolved.
- Taste it to ensure the brine tastes to your liking. If not, add a bit more water to the brine.
How to Make Home-Made Pickled Daikon & Carrots:
- Firstly, Use the Peeler to peel the Daikon and Carrot.
- Then Julienne the Daikon and Carrot in a Glass Pyrex Bowl using the Madoline Slicer
- Add 4 teaspoon of White Sugar and 2 teaspoon of Sea Salt to the Daikon and Carrot.
- Mix and Massage with hand for approximately 3 minutes.
- Pour the daikon and carrots into a collander and rinse with cold water.
- Place the julienned daikon and carrots into a Mason Jar and pour over the brine. Close the lid. Gently move the jar around a little bit to make sure the brine fully covers the daikon and carrots.
- Lastly, Leave the jar at room temperature to cool.
- Then chill the pickles for a couple of hours before serving for optimal taste.
How to Store:
- You can store this home-made pickled daikon and carrots in the fridge for a few weeks.
- The pickled daikon and carrots will last longer if the jar and the lid are properly sterilized. However, I didn’t sterilize the jar and lid because the home-made daikon and carrots will be gone in a week or 2 in my household.
- The pickles taste best in its crisp taste if you consume within the first 4-5 days of pickling them
Please SHARE this recipe with your Family, Friends and Colleagues and SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube Channel for more recipes! Thank you!