Do you like Korean food? This Yummy Japchae recipe is super easy to make yet flavorful! The secret to this recipe is the Marinade that is made with Soy Sauce, Sugar, Sesame Oil, Water, Mirin, Sake, Garlic and Salt and Pepper.
What is Japchae?
Japchae is a Korean’s essential dish for traditional holidays and special occasions and is made of sweet potato noodles (dangmyeon, 당면) stir-fried with colorful vegetables, eggs and chicken or beef. Japchae is sometimes called ‘chapchae’ or glass noodles. The noodles are transparent after it is cooked.
This Yummy Japchae Recipe is made with Chicken. Instead of chicken, this dish can also be made with Bulgogi Beef. While this recipe has a longer cooking time and quite a handful of ingredients, it’s really easy to make. Once you have all the ingredients ready, you just assemble it.
Where to buy Sweet Potato Noodles ((dangmyeon, 당면):
You can find the Sweet Potato Noodles (aka Korean Glass Noodles) in any Asian Supermarket. This is the brand of sweet potato noodles that I use in this recipe. At the back of the bag, there is instruction on how to make Japchae.
Ingredients for the Marinade:
The Secret to this Yummy Japchae Recipe is the Marinade:Cup Soy Sauce
- Soy Sauce
- Sesame Oil
- Mirin: a Japanese sweet rice wine that adds a mild acidity to a dish. This is similar to sake, but is lower in sugar and alcohol (14%)
- Sake: (Wikipedia) saké (/ˈsɑːki, ˈsækeɪ/ SAH-kee, SAK-ay) also referred to as Japanese rice wine),is an alcoholic beverage made by fermenting rice that has been polished to remove the bran.
- Garlic (or home-made Garlic Oil)
- Sweet Potato Noodles (dangmyeon, 당면)
- Chicken Breasts
- Red Onion (Julienne)
- Red and Orange Peppers (Julienne)
- Mushroom (button or shitake)
- Thai Chili Pepper (optional)
Watch How to Make This Recipe:
How to Make Yummy Japchae Recipe:
Firstly, mix all the 8 Marinade ingredients together and warm up the marinade on low heat just to dissolve the sugar.
Then, cut the chicken breasts into cubes and marinade (save some for the noodles) for at least 1 hour or overnight.
Next, soak shitake in warm water at least couple hours, or overnight. Use a small plate to put on top of the water to ensure that the mushroom is fully soaked under the water.
Cut off stem from the mushroom and thinly slice the shitake mushroom and soak in water until ready to stir-fry.
Meanwhile, julienne the red onion, peppers, carrot.
Stir fry carrot and peppers with a little marinade sauce and a pinch of salt/pepper. Then set aside.
Stir fry red onion and shitake mushroom and set aside.
Next, do eggs the omelette style, thin, slice into strips. Then Set aside.
Then, stir-Fry the chicken in a pan until golden brown. Make it in 2 batches.
How to Boil Sweet Potato Noodles (Glass Noodles) for this Yummy Japchae Recipe:
Next boil noodles 8-10 min. Rinse in cold water and drain.
Then add some marinade to coat noodles well.
Lastly, combine everything, garnish with eggs, green onion and sesame seeds. However, we don’t have green onion and sesame seeds when we made this recipe. Therefore green onion and sesame sees are optional.
This Yummy Japchae Recipe also makes great leftovers, so this recipe is perfect for batch cooking or meal prep.
Voilà! Enjoy this flavorful Yummy Japchae!
Equipment used in this Yummy Japchae Recipe:
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me (@myreallifetips) on Instagram. I would love to see your creation of this recipe! Feel free to Subscribe to my Email List to be the FIRST to get any new recipe post.
Yummy Japchae Recipe
The Marinade (Secret to this delicious Japchae)
- ¾ Cup Soy Sauce
- 2 TBSP Sesame Oil
- ½ Cup Sugar
- 1 Cup Water
- ¼ Cup Mirin (Optional) – it tastes better with this in the recipe
- ¼ Cup Sake (Optional) – it tastes better with this in the recipe
- 3 Cloves Garlic
- 1 Pack Sweet Potato Noodles (Dangmyeon 당면) Glass Noodles
- 2 Breasts Chicken (cut in Cubes)
- 1 Piece Red Onion
- 2 Pieces Peppers
- 1 Piece Carrot
- 1 Pack Mushroom (Shitake or Button) (Shitake is used in this recipe. Stem is cut out and thinly sliced)
- 6 Eggs (Omlette style. Cut in Strips)
- 2 Thai Chili Pepper (Optional)
- Drizzles Oil (Canola or Olive Oil) Used to stir-fry the egg, chicken and vegetables
How to Make The Marinade
- Mix all "The Marinade" Ingredients together on low heat to dissolve the sugar
How to Prepare Shitake Mushroom
- Soak Shitake in warm water for at least couplehours, or overnight.
- Tip: Use a plate to hold the mushroom under the water.
- Cut off the stems from the mushroom
- Thinly slice the shitake mushroom. Leave it soak in the water until you are ready to stir-fry
How to Prepare Chicken for this Yummy Japchae Recipe
- Cut the 2 Chicken Breasts into cubes.
- Use some of "The Marinade" (save some for the noodles).
- Marinade the chicken in the refrigerator for at least 1 hour or overnight
- Stir-Fry the Chicken in a pan with some oil until golden brown. Set aside.
How to Prepare Eggs
- Whisk 6 eggs in a bowl.
- Fry Eggs Omelette style, thin.
- Slice into strips. Set aside
How to Make the Vegetables
- Julienne the Red Onion, Carrot, Red and Orange Peppers
- Stir-Fry the Red Onion and Mushrooms with a bit of oil. You may use a little of "The Marinade". Add a pinch of Salt/Pepper to taste. Then set aside.
- Stir-Fry the Carrots and Peppers with some marinade. Add a pinch of Salt/Pepper to taste and set aside.
Sweet Potato Noodles (Dangmyeon 당면)
- Bring a Pot of water on high heat to boil
- Add in the noodles and boil for 8-10 minutes
- Rinse in cold water and drain.
- Add some marinade to coat noodles well.
How to Make the DELICIOUS Japchae
- Combine everything.
- Garnish with Eggs.
- Enjoy this Yummy Japchae!
- The SECRET to this Delicious Japchae recipe is “The Marinade”.
- This Yummy Japchae Recipe can be made with Chicken or Beef. You may also make this Japchae with Bulgogi Beef.
- For Shiitake mushrooms, make sure to soak them in warm water for a couple hours or overnight before using them. Cut the stem from the mushroom and slice thinly. Soak in water before use. If you can’t find shiitake mushrooms, button mushrooms can be a good substitute.
- If you have green onion and sesame seeds, you can use to garnish Japchae.
- Spinach is optional in this recipe. My recipe does not use spinach. To be honest, you can use any vegetables in this recipe.
- Japchae can be served hot or cold. I prefer it hot. You can also microwave it to reheat when necessary.
- Japchae can be stored in the refrigerator for 1-2 days in an air tight container. It can be stored for up to a week.