I am sure you all have seen the Vietnamese Shrimp or Chicken Fresh Rolls in the menu at a Vietnamese restaurant. These Fresh Rolls are so so YUMMY and low in calories yet it is very simple to make! It is a lot of fun rolling the Fresh Rollls! 🙂
Banh Trang / Rice Paper
Rice Paper is one of the Ingredient in this Chicken Fresh Roll Recipe. “Banh Trang”/The ‘Rice Wapper” is low in calorie. It fills you up very quickly. How many Fresh Rolls can you eat in one sitting? For me, the maximum I can eat is 4-5 Rolls for dinner when we do this Chicken Fresh Rolls for dinner! Live Strong has a good article on Rice Paper. The Brand that I used for this Chicken Fresh Rolls is “Rose Brand”. I find this has the perfect texture and the rice paper is thin enough.
If you don’t finish the wrapper, wrap it in plastic wrap and leave it in your cupboard. This will keep it until the next time you make another Chicken Fresh Rolls for dinner.
Ingredients for Chicken Fresh Rolls:
- Grilled or Cast-Iron Pan-Seared Chicken
- Vermicelli Noodles
- Spring Mix/Lettuce
- Mango Slice/Chunk (I used Frozen Mango. Fresh one is better and you can julienne it)
- Mint Leaves
- Home-Made Pickled Daikon and Carrots
- Peanut Dipping Sauce
- Hot Water
Instructions to Prepare the Ingredients for the Fresh Rolls:
1. Grill/Cast-Iron Pan-Sear the Chicken and cut into strips. (Check out this Cast-Iron Pan-Seared Chicken Recipe). or you can use any meat that is left over from your fridge for the fresh roll.
2. Prepare Mint Leaves
3. Dice some Frozen Mangoes (you can use Fresh Mangoes if you have and julienne the mango)
4. Pour out some Home-Made Pickled Daikon and Carrots in a small bowl
5. In a separate small pot, boil water with some salt. Add in 1/3 Bag of the Vermicelli Noodles and boil for 2 minutes until the noodles are soft but NOT over-cooked. Drain the water and put in a small bowl. Wait for 10 minutes so Noodles are dry before using.
You can also replace this Vermicelli Noodles with Glass Noodles (i.e. made of Mung Bean Starch). We have tried this recipe with both type of noodles. Any kind of noodles work.
6. Cut one Avocado in strips and put in a plate.
7. Take out some Spring Mix in a salad bowl.
8. Make the Peanut Dipping Sauce as per below and you are ready to ROLL!
Ingredients for Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- 2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter
- 4 Tablespoons of Hoisin Sauce
- 5-6 Tablespoons of Warm Water
- 2 Red Chili Peppers (Optional)
Instructions for Peanut Dipping Sauce:
- In a small bowl, scoop out 2 Tablespoons of Peanut Butter
- Add in 4 Tablespoons of Hoisin Sauce
- Add in 5-6 Tablespoons of Warm Water
- Mix well until the texture is consistent
- If it is too watery, add a bit more of Hoisin Sauce and Peanut Butter and mix again until you get the consistency that you want.
- Use Scissors and cut 2 Red Chili Peppers in the Peanut Sauce (Optional)
Special Thank You to my friend Jennifer who gave this Simple, Easy to make Peanut Dipping Sauce. She used to make this at a Vietnamese Restaurant to serve with Shrimp/Chicken Fresh Rolls. I love this simple yet delicious Peanut Dipping Sauce! This is my go to Dipping Sauce everytime I make the Chicken Fresh Rolls! Please Make sure that no-one has Nut Allergy in the family when you use this Peanut Dipping Sauce.
The Prepping time for Chicken Fresh Roll takes a bit longer as you have to prep every ingredients to be ready for rolling! Once everything is ready on the table to serve, all you need to do is roll the Chicken Fresh Roll and enjoy! How do you eat the Chicken Fresh Rolls? Are you the type that roll one and enjoy one at a time? Then you continue rolling. Or are you the type that would roll 8-10 rolls at once and enjoy all at once?
We roll as we go! One fresh roll at a time. We find it fresher when you roll and enjoy one at a time. Hence, the wrapper doesn’t dry up.
How to Roll a Chicken Fresh Roll:
- Boil water in a kettle. Pour it out in a Big Glass Salad Bowl.
- Take one piece of rice paper and dip it in the water. Then go around the edges first and then the middle of the rice paper. This should only take a few seconds. DO NOT soak too long as the wrapper will be too soft and may tear apart.
- Put the wet rice paper on a big plate. The wrapper will soften itself on the plate.
- Add in the ingredients. You can arrange the ingredients in any order you’d like.
- Wrap it up to roll tightly like a burrito.
Tips to a Perfect Chicken Fresh Roll:
- Start small. Don’t put too much ingredients in the rice paper as it may tear apart.
- Be patient as it may take many tries before you make a Perfect Fresh Roll!
- DO NOT soak the rice paper more than 20 seconds as they can become too soft and tear apart.
- For presentation, the Chicken are lined up last then wrap them and roll tightly like a burrito. That way, the chicken will show through the wrapper.
To be honest, you can make a Chicken Fresh Roll with simply any kind of vegetables/meat that you have left-over in the fridge. You can substitue with cucumber, carrots, lettuce, cilantro. Make sure to julienne it. I like mine with Mint Leaves and Mango. It is a perfect combination in terms of taste!
This is a perfect dish if you invite guests to your house for dinner. The guest can roll their own Chicken Fresh Roll by picking the available ingredients on the table for their own customized fresh roll! In addition, this is a great activity and fun meal for kids! They get to wrap their own Fresh Rolls!
Enjoy the Chicken Fresh Roll! Please SHARE this recipe with your Family, Friends and Colleagues and SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube Channel for more recipes! Thank you!