Steamed eggs with minced pork is such a simple and easy to make recipe. When I was growing up, my Mom used to make this home-style steamed eggs with minced pork. It is such a comforting home-made food, yet so savory and contains proteins. This can be the ONLY dish you make and serve with steamed rice. If you’d like, you can also make another vegetable side dish to go with the steamed eggs with minced pork and steamed rice.
This is one of my favorite dish! Eggs are my go to food when I don’t know what to cook for lunch/dinner. You can do so much with Eggs! You can steam eggs, boil eggs, poach eggs or fry eggs (scrambled/sunny side-up/omelets). There are benefits to eating Eggs but of course like everything else eat in moderation. Eggs are so versatile and inexpensive. It is an excellent source of proteins.
- Fried eggs serve with bacon/ham, tomatoes, cucumber on the side
- Hard-boiled eggs with a side of salad and avocado
- omelets (vegetarian or with meat)
- Eggs Benedict
- Fried eggs with soy sauce on rice with a side vegetable dish. I like it with sauteed mushroom.
- Steamed eggs with minced pork or if you are vegetarian, then you can put any vegetarian ingredients in the eggs to steam.
- Cobb salad with hard-boiled eggs, ham/bacon with Ranch dressing. If you are health conscious, then you can substitute Ranch dressing with Greek dressing/Five-herbs dressing. or you can also make your own dressing using olive oil/lemon juice/balsamic vinegar.
This is my first time making this steamed eggs with minced pork and it was so easy to make and turned out Delicious! From my childhood memory, I recalled the following ingredients are in my Mom’s steamed eggs with minced pork recipe:
- 10 Large Eggs
- Minced pork/Lean Ground Pork (500g)
- Salt and Pepper
- Chili Pepper (if you like to have a little kick in your food) (this is optional)
- Green onion
- (I used LungKow brand). The bag has 100g (3.5 oz) and it costs approx $0.99 at any Chinese grocery store.
- Salted and Cooked Duck Egg (this is optional). This is the secret ingredient to the BEST steamed eggs with minced pork recipe. But not everyone likes salted duck egg. (A pack has 6 eggs but you only need 2-3 eggs for this recipe)
I bought all of the above ingredients except minced pork from a Chinese grocery store. When I was ready to make the Steamed eggs with minced pork, I went to Metro grocery store to get this Grain-Fed 100% Canadian Lean Ground Pork.
Instructions to marinate minced pork:
- I marinated the minced pork with salt and pepper, garlic oil and chili pepper, wrapped the dish with saran wrap and left it in the refrigerator for a couple hours. The longer you marinate, the better the meat will taste. If you choose, you can marinate it and leave it in the fridge over night and cook it the next day.
I use Cuisinart Hard Anodized frying pan. It is non-stick and you use less oil when cooking.
Cast Iron pan is another great pan to use when frying meat, fish, shrimps. I used this cast iron pan to make pepper shrimps, chicken, steak.
Instructions to stir fry the marinated minced pork:
- Heat the frying pan on high heat
- Add oil, garlic
- Add marinated minced pork and stir fry until the meat is fully cooked.
- Removed cooked minced pork from heat. 500g of mince pork is a lot. You only need 1/2 of the cooked minced pork. You can store the cooked minced pork in the refrigerator and make another dish in a day or 2. Check out the minced pork recipe with winter melon.
Instructions to prepare vermicelli:
- Soak the vermicelli for an hour or 2 covered in warm water. This will soften the noodles.
- Use scissors to cut it in smaller length.
Instructions to the rest of the minced pork steamed eggs recipe:
- Beat 10 eggs in a bowl with a whisk. Add some salt and pepper to the eggs.
- Use a 10′ baking pan and add the stir fried minced pork.
- Drain the soaked vermicelli and add into the 10′ pan and mix with the minced pork.
- Add in the eggs beaten above to the 10′ pan filled with stir fried minced pork. Add more cooked minced pork/vermicelli to your liking.
- Add in 2-3 Salted & Cooked Duck Egg (Optional). See tips below if you are not using this ingredient.
- Add some green onions and chili peppers.
- Add water into the pot steamer and bring it to a boil.
- Put the 10′ pan with eggs, minced pork, vermicelli and salted duck eggs inside the steamer and let it steam for 1/2 hour.
- Check the eggs to see if it is cooked or not by using a chopstick or a fork. If the chopstick or fork came out clean, that means the eggs are cooked. If not, then leave the eggs to steam a little longer.
- You can scoop out the water on the surface of the steamed eggs if there are water accumulated on the top.
- Chopstick comes out clean means the steamed eggs with minced pork is ready to serve! 🙂
Salted Duck Eggs:
- If you decide on using Salted & Cooked Duck Egg in the recipe, go easy on adding the Salt as Salted & Cooked Duck Egg is already salty and will make the steamed eggs salty and tasty.
- If you are not using Salted & Cooked Duck Egg, please add enough salt to your taste so that the dish won’t come out blend.
- Peel garlic and chopped it. Then add oil to the chopped garlic in a mason jar. You can store this for a longer time and use it whenever you need it. That way, you don’t have to chop the garlic every time garlic is one of the ingredient.
- To find out if the steamed eggs are cooked, use a chopstick or fork and poke it inside the steamed eggs as per above video. If the chopstick/fork comes out clean, that means the eggs are cooked and ready to serve!