Are you looking for an easy recipe on how to bake a Turkey Recipe for Thanksgiving or Christmas get together? Try this one out. It is very simple and easy to follow. I made the turkey for my Thanksgiving family get together in 2009 and they loved it.
Enjoy the recipe!
• Rinse the turkey under cold water. Use paper towels to dry the turkey
• Cut a lemon in half, rub it all over the turkey skin
• Mix salt, pepper, thyme, dill weed and garlic powder in a bowl (spice mix). Rub the spice mix all over the skin of the turkey. You can rub inside or pour some inside the cavity of the turkey
• Stuff butter or bacon under the skin of the turkey. (I put bacon under the skin between the meat and the skin. Use a knife to cut an opening between the skin and flesh of the turkey, then use a spatula to open up the skin. Make sure not to break the skin off from the flesh. Then stuff bacon there. (a few slices are sufficient)
• For stuffing to put inside the cavity of the turkey, mix carrots, celery, green and red pepper (all diced up) and spice it up with the same spice mix
• On the side, mix flour with butter and the spice mix (salt, pepper, thyme, dill weed and garlic powder) until it becomes a ball (like baking a cake texture). Then spread the butter ball and cover the skin of the turkey. This will keep the turkey moist.
• Put the turkey with breasts down on the platter, cover with aluminum foil to bake. This will keep it moist as the breasts are the driest part
• Bake at 325F. Roast until meat thermometer reads 165 degrees Fahrenheit. You can broil the turkey skin to make it crisp at the end but don't overcook it
• Once the bird reaches 165F, leave the thermometer inside the bird and pull it out of the oven and leave the foil on. Let it sit for at least 15 minutes or until you are ready to carve the turkey
Weight of Turkey Approximate cooking time:
10-12 lb (4.5-5.5 kg) 3 hours
12-14 lb (5.5-6.5 kg) 3 hours and 30 mins
14-16 lb (6.5-7.5 kg) 4 hours
16-18 lb (7.5-8 kg) 4 hours and 15 mins
18-20 lb (8-9 kg) 4 hours and 30 mins
20-22 lb (9-10 kg) 4 hours and 45 mins
22-24 lb (10-11 kg) 5 hours