Is it a “Fruit” or “Vegetable”? Well I am sure everyone thinks it is a “Vegetable”. In reality, Eggplant is a Fruit as it grows from a flowering plant and contain seeds. I love the deep purple color of the Eggplant! Check out my Super Healthy and Easy Baked Eggplant using ONLY 5 Ingredients in addition to taking less than 5 minutes preparation time! This recipe is not only delicious, it also provide lots of benefits.
Benefits of Eggplant:
- Heart Health: Eggplant is rich in fiber, potassium, vitamin C and B6 that it helps lower the risk of mortality from heart disease. In addition, it contains Vitamin K that is necessary for blood clotting and helps prevent calcification of arteries.
- Lower Blood Pressure: Eggplant contains anthocyanin – a red-blue flavonoid plant pigment. This lowers the risk of stroke, heart attacks and blood clots. In addition, Eggplant contains Vitamin E that is good for treating and preventing chest pain, blocked or hardened arteries and high blood pressure.
- High in Antioxidants: Eggplants have anthocyanins and chlorogenic acid. They fight inflammation and oxidative stress related damage found in the body.
- Help with Anemia: Eggplants help those who have iron defficiencies as they are high in iron and copper. This will boost your energy and strength.
- Help with Diabetes: Eggplants contain a lot of fiber and are low in soluble carbohydrates. Adding Eggplant to your diet may help keep your blood sugar in check.
Types of Eggplants:
- Asian Eggplant (aka Chinese Eggplant): normally called “Chinese” Eggplant. The Chinese eggplant has a lovely lilac colored, thin skin, delicate flavor, and relatively few seeds. It is slender, and longer than Japanese eggplant.
- Japanese Eggplant
- Italian Eggplant
- 2 Asian Eggplants (aka Chinese Eggplant)
- 1/2 cup of Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tablespoon of Smoked Paprika, Garlic, Chili & Chives (by The Gourmet Collections Spice blends)
- 1 teaspoon of home-made Garlic oil
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, Mix Olive Oil, Smoked Paprika, Garlic, Chili and Chives Spice blends, garlic oil and Add Salt and Pepper to taste.
Super Healthy and Easy Baked Eggplant:
- Rinse Eggplants
- Slice the eggplant in half lengthwise
- Optional: I cut in 1/2 to fit in the toaster oven.
- Slid a line in the middle and diagonal lines for the seasoning to absorb into the eggplant.
- Brush the eggplant with the Seasoning
- Roast in the preheated oven at 390F for the first 15 minutes.
- Add another 10 minutes at 425F until softened and golden brown.
- Eggplant contains a toxin and should never be eaten raw!
- Slid a line in the middle of the Eggplant and a few diagonal lines for the seasoning to absorb into the eggplant.
- Check out how to make Home-Made Garlic Oil.