This Fricasseed Chicken is a Popular Jamaican Dish! It is so DELICIOUS and FLAVORFUL that it is a great dish for any season.
The steps in this recipe are Super Easy to follow. In addition, this recipe is Perfect for meal-prep and you are set for a week! Fricasseed Chicken is more flavorful the next day.
WHAT IS FRICASSEED CHICKEN?
“Fricassee or fricassée /ˈfrɪkəsiː/ is a method of cooking meat in which it is cut up and braised, and served with its sauce. Fricassee of chicken is commonly found, both in modern recipes and antique ones, but virtually all kinds of meat, poultry, seafood, and even vegetables alone, can be fricasseed.” (Source wikipedia)
For the longest time, I can not pronounce the name of this dish properly. So I call it “Frica” Chicken. 🙂
INGREDIENTS TO MARINADE THE FRICASSEED CHICKEN – POPULAR JAMAICAN DISH:
- 2 Teaspoons of Dark Soy Sauce
- 1 Tablespoon of Italian Dressing
- 1 Tsp of Salt/Pepper
- Garlic Powder (1 Teaspoon)
HOW TO MAKE THIS AUTHENTIC FRICASSEED CHICKEN – POPULAR JAMAICAN DISH:
Start by preparing the ingredients. That is, julienne the vegetables and slice the carrots.
Firstly, wash the chicken breast in cold water with lemon juice and rinse. Next, cut the chicken into pieces. Then pre-season the chicken with the above marinade ingredients and leave in the refrigerator overnight.
Secondly, fry the chicken until brown with some canola oil (a.k.a. shallow fry). (Tip: Make sure the heat is on medium-high and the oil is hot before putting the pieces of chicken in to fry.)
Subsequently, Sautee the vegetables together until the onions are soft.
Then cook the chicken down with fresh herbs, spice and vegetables and chicken stock. Simmer for 10-25 minutes.
Lastly, mix the cornstarch with the sauce of the chicken until fully resolved to make a thick rich gravy. Then stew for 15 minutes. Check to make sure the chicken is cooked.
The Herbs that makes this Fricasseed Chicken delicious is Thyme! In addition, the Spice that gives this dish a rich authentic flavor is Allspice or Pimentos.
ENJOY this Tasty Fricasseed Chicken – a Popular Jamaican dish served with jasmine steamed rice or rice and peas! Great dish for any season!
If you do make this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram. I would love to see your creation of this recipe! You can also Subcribe to my Email List to be the FIRST to get any new recipe post.
Please SHARE this recipe with your Family, Friends and Colleagues and SUBSCRIBE to my YouTube Channel for more RECIPES! Thank you!
Equipment used in this recipe:
More Delicious Recipes:
- Cast-Iron Pan-Seared Chicken
- Grilled Sausage Vegetable Pasta Salad
- Ackee and Salt Fish with Bacon
- Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Fall-off the Bone Kalbi Pork Ribs
Tips for this Fricasseed Chicken – Popular Jamaican Dish:
- Remember to remove the Allspice/Pimentos when eating. You will not like the taste of a pimento that bursts.
- Instead of the Grape Tomatoes used in this recipe, you can substitute with any kind of tomatoes (diced)
- You can replace the Chicken Breast with bone-in chicken, chicken legs/thighs or chicken wings. Cooking time may be a bit longer if chicken has bone-in.
- Best serve Fricasseed Chicken with Jasmine White Rice or Rice and Peas.
- If you like spicy food and can handle the heat, I would recommend to add 1/2-1 Scotch Bonnet. If not, you can make this recipe without one.
- For Chicken Stock, use the Campbell Chicken Stock with 30% less salt.
- As for the vegetables in this recipe, we use Orange Pepper and Red Pepper, Carrots, Tomatoes. You can add some button mushrooms if you’d like.